One of my favorite kinds of meals to make are ones that are quick, easy, inexpensive, and delicious. This is a great, easy meal because it is made in one pot, er, pan, and it is inexpensive. You can use your favorite kind of smoked sausage and you can use whatever kind of pasta you have on hand. That makes it a no-brainer for me.
I have to give credit where credit is due so I got the recipe for this meal from KevinandAmanda.com. I made a few tweaks while I was cooking to make is a little different. I can’t really say if my recipe tastes like the one on their site because I only made this recipe one time. But WOW was it great.
Without further ado, here is the recipe for a quick, delicious meal that your family will request again and again.
Spicy Sausage Pasta
2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
1 lb of your favorite smoked sausage, sliced into circles
1 cup of frozen seasoning blend (it has diced onion, bell pepper, celery, etc. It’s found in the frozen vegetable section of the store)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup of white cooking wine
1/2 cup of heavy cream
2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes
1- 10 ounce can of mild tomatoes and green chiles (like Ro-Tel)
8 ounces of bowtie pasta (or whatever you have on-hand)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup of Monterrey Jack Cheese
1/4 cup of Pepper Jack
2 green onions chopped up with the green tops and white bottoms separated.
1. Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is heated (it starts to spread in ribbons in the pan), add the 1 cup of seasoning mix. Also add the white part of the green onion that you separated earlier. Don’t add the green onions yet. Cook for three minutes until vegetables start to thaw out and brown. Don’t worry about cooking them all the way here because they will continue to cook in the next step.
2. Add the sausage to the pan. Cook for about 4-5 minutes to allow the sausage to brown. Add your garlic and let it cook for about thirty seconds to a minute. You don’t want it to really brown very much, just impart a little flava. Meanwhile, heat your water in a microwave safe container in the microwave until it boils (it takes like a minute in my microwave). Once the water is boiling, add your two bouillon cubes. I always mash mine up with a fork so they integrate into the water a little faster. Set it aside.
3. Here’s the awesome part. Add the dry pasta. Yeah, no pre-cooking necessary!
4. Dump in the whole can of Ro-tel without draining it. Add your chicken broth. Then, add 1/2 cup of white cooking wine. Mix together.
5. Add the heavy cream and stir again. Then, add a dash of salt and pepper. Remember, it’s easy to add but you can’t take it away 😉
6. Bring it to a boil. Then, turn it down to a simmer and put a lid on it for 15 minutes.
7. Add half of your cheese now and stir it together. Then, add the green tops of the onions and the rest of the cheese to the top.
8. Crank up the broiler in your oven and put this in for about 3-4 minutes until it is brown on top.
This is creamy, cheesy deliciousness ready in around 30 minutes. If you like this recipe, feel free to Pin it!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy for more information.